Wednesday, January 2, 2008

And we're off to a 'fishy' start!

Yay, the Do Do's back! Not the bird, eh, but these made-in-Singapore fishballs, the only place here we know that sells them hadn't restocked in awhile, but of the kind we've tried, they are still the ones with the most "boing"!

Jan 08 i 007

I cooked them at the first chance we got, for a simple New Year's Day noodle lunch, using the stock from some chicken soup left over from the day before!

Jan 08 i 001 Jan 08 i 004

Then, because the salmon was already out of the freezer, thawing in the fridge, we had that for dinner. And so, as it turned out, it was quite the 'fishy' start to 2008, for us, yesterday!

Jan 08 i 021

It's not the Lunar New Year, but you know the Chinese phrase, "Nian Nian You Yu"?

Here's then, to a year of ABUNDANCE, for you and yours, for us, and with more than enough to spread around!!!

Jan 08 i 014 Jan 08 i 016

No, this is not an ad for Do Do. But are you also a fishball fan fanatic?

Vern gave the correct answer when my best friends turned interrogating bridesmaids quizzed him a decade ago, on what was my favourite hawker food! Of course, some fishball stalls were more "sought after" than others, and closest to my dad's place, I liked the Siglap one, that served fishballs with bean sprouts and vermicelli, and the must-have sliced red chilli (for me, not my spice-challenged husband) for extra kick!

And now, when at least one of our kids asks to have "seconds, please", I know it's true, that all it takes is simple joys like this -- good old yummy fishballs, to add some "bounce" to our lives! ;p

And my God will meet all your needs

according to his glorious riches

in Christ Jesus.
- Philippians 4:19

How do we like our fishballs? Let me count the ways...

There are other simple ways to incorporate this delectable ingredient into our food, that's worked, but by and large, it's flexible enough to go with not just most things soupy, but stir-fried also (think fried noodles or vegetables).

I especially also like to add the Do Do's to our winter melon soup, and if the other Asian vegetables here were any fresher, fishballs are wonderful, too, with Dou Miao (just toss everything with oyster sauce), and with watercress soup (but only if you are not going to cook the watercress till it's all withered and brown, just nice and green).

How do you like your fishballs?

Fishballs aside, I'm not quite a fish person...
For this simple salmon, I seasoned it with salt and pepper, but when it still smelled fishy while pan-fried, I added some lime juice, too! The asparagus I left to cook briefly in a skillet, with some Italian seasoning, Teriyaki sauce, and orange juice, and a pinch of sugar -- for a bit of a savoury, sweet-sour mix! Actually, the sauce is meant for the fish, but I thought, why not kill two birds with one stone? It worked for us!

7 comments:

stay-at-home mum said...

Hey! I like those siglap fishballs too. Next time you come back. w e meet at the fishball stall, ok?
Remember, after all that fish, just dont be too "ngeow"!

Yan said...

I am not a fish person. But I am a fishball person, bp! And the Singapore fishball!

You would never have expected your fishball story brought so much tears to me this morning.

My mum liked Singapore fishball too. While staying with her there, almost every other day, we had fishball soup, fishball noodles. Even when we came back home to Sarawak, we packed some back!

Thanks for the fishball morning.

Anonymous said...

I love those Do Do fishballs, all their other products not as good though.

Anonymous said...

I can't stand strong fishy taste. So, I'm very picky when it comes to fish and fishballs and it is certainly very hard to find yummy fishballs to my liking!

Anonymous said...

I like Dodo too! I think I saw some of them at a supermarket here, but can't remember which one! Frozen though, dunno whether good or not.

The fishball I just had at a restaurant recently was sooo unlike fishball back home - it was mushy instead of springy (but fresh, luckily)!! I am going to get some fish and make my own fishball soon!!

Jo said...

fresh fish won't smell fishy. Ironic right? Fishballs are a different ball game. Whereas the fish is unpopular with the kids in my household, the balls are always invoke some kind of positive reaction, like "HOORAY!! FISHBAAAAALLLSS!!" I have no idea why. :P

bp said...

SAHM,
Haha, no, ngeow is not good... we want to have more than enough to spread around =) Yesss to Siglap fishballs! Oh, it will be really nice to meet up with you there!

Yan,
Tears of joy.... to our mothers, mothers there for us, right till the end!

Kopi Soh,
So you get them over where you are, too? How I miss all the hawker food... to your Kopi Tiam, here I come!!!

Tot's Mom,
I can identify with that strong (nasty) fishy taste. Sometimes tossing in some ginger slices, may help rid a bit of it. Give it a try, again?

Kat,
Yes, it's also the frozen Do Do we get here, but by far, it's still the best of all we've tried. I know the mushy kind, too, which we aren't crazy about, at all!

Wow, you're making your own fishballs... it must be a lot of work! 'Lucky' for me, it's hard to get fresh fish here... hehe!

Jomel,
Ah, fresh is not fishy, you're right! And you know, for the fish person that I'm not quite, I actually do think about fresh fish a lot more, after coming here. And they are so easy to cook, just season lightly, and steam!

With the frozen fish, even microwaving them, unless it's seasoned with something stronger, I can't take the fishiness! I usually just bake or fry them!

Haha, it must be the little girl in me still... like your kids, I go Hooray!!! too at the sight of fishballs, and especially at the Do Dos! Haha!