Friday, December 21, 2007

Preparing, and pressing on...

Dec 07 vi 067

Last week, I was sweating over, and ironing out some details, wanting to add a personalized touch to our well-wishes, instead of having to rely entirely on store-bought gifts. Time wasn't exactly on my side, because we were already running late for stuff meant for those across the miles.

Dec 07 ix 034

Now I don't want to perpetuate the myth that homemakers have "all the time in the world" to do these things. In reality, unless my memory is failing me, I believe I got to sit down more throughout the day as a working mom, than now as a stay-at-home mom on my feet a lot, even though my job back home wasn't a completely deskbound one!

Dec 07 x 063 Dec 07 x 017

Maybe it's the busyness of the season, it does seem like the boys are acting up more. Or is it just me? It's not easy to keep my cool, when I'm trying to fit in this and that, on top of our regular day, which itself can be quite crazy, too!

It is also quite a crazy time of the year! Everywhere we go, outside of home and school -- not just the shops but the supermarkets, too, there are long queues, car parks are full, and traffic's crawling at first from the snow that has more or less melted, and now, as Christmas draws near, more and more frenzied shoppers (and drivers)! There are also more road closures, before very soon, a major highway will be shut down for upgrading works, and we can expect more diversion of traffic.

Dec 07 xi 057 Dec 07 xi 159

Along the way, with a reminder here and there, including a big one for me not to forget to take care of myself, I pared down our to-do list for Christmas. Because the exhaustion's setting in, and my hands' quite full, as it is.

Dec 07 xi 050 Dec 07 xi 098

But it did help that eventually, I chose instead to go with easier options, and simple recipes, and targeted to work on some things at a time. And mostly, to do what comes first, instead of being overly ambitious and wanting to get as much done ahead.

For no matter how early we start, there's always lastminute shopping to do, gifts to wrap, and cards to write out... which I still have to go work on. And I've already got the boys' understanding that I'm "saving" theirs for last, because we have till Christmas Day itself to give them theirs!

Dec 07 xi 127 Dec 07 xi 133

A few prezzies are held up, because of a particular service provider's own backlog, and good thing these are meant for our most loved ones, and I know they will understand! So I'm not going to worry about that... too much! Better late than never, no?

Dec 07 xi 140

Meanwhile, the pictures scattered throughout this post are some gestures on our part, to add a homemade touch. Later, when the time is right, I'll show you a sample or two of what the end-product of that first picture at the top of this post, is all about, too! That one was trickier than I thought, and it took a few tries to get it right.

Dec 07 xi 154 Dec 07 xi 158

- The cupcakes were for a year-end party last Sunday, in Jon's Chinese class, that I relied on a boxed cakemix to bake the cake itself -- a real lifesaver when you're strapped for time! Only the frosting I made from scratch (quite easily done, out of powdered sugar, butter, and a bit of vanilla and milk), and used green colouring, and Jon helped add the sprinkles, to give them a festive look. The pink version was especially for the girls, and Lao Shi (the class teacher)!

- The peppermint cookies and chocolate crinkles were for Jon's and Ben's teachers, and a few people Vern does work with. Both recipes were among the simpler ones for Christmassy cookies I came across! Still, it took me all throughout the day to bake them all, on Wednesday, while Ben was in school in the morning, and the last batch was done at about the same time dinner was ready. Also because I drove half the usual amount, and Vern helped keep an eye on Ben! And yes, we've given all of the cookies away, yesterday and today -- while they were at their "freshest"!

- The cards need no explanation. I had grander plans originally, but this way worked well too, when I just left it to the boys and their creative juices, to do what they would, with the glitter glue! For those well-wishes that have gone out though, the recipients get a different version with our faces instead, as a way of saying "We're thinking of you!". Maybe I should have the boys work on such homemade cards first thing, next year.

Admittedly, at the beginning of this week, I was rather overwhelmed. But now that we're about halfway there, perhaps more, I can sit down for a little bit... while the three guys are watching "Man vs Wild" right now! What's next?...

Dec 07 ix 030

We're really looking foward to our friends coming over tomorrow! Of course, there's also more of the house to clean, and whatever hideous clutter to put away, out of consideration for our guests... really! The husband, whom I ordinarily try not to bother with such chores, has been roped in to help, but for a very good reason! I'm sticking to familiar dishes, and marinading the meat ahead, so hopefully, I won't be working myself up into a frenzy!

You too, if it looks like you may be carried way with the much to do, try to slow down some, OK? Be sure to enjoy yourself! For joy to the world it is, the reason why we celebrate Christmas! =)

Dec 07 xi 153 Dec 07 xi 152

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wahhhhh kooooky, i kam and eat, munch munch, munch, yummeh....i oso take home some for kopi boy ok? Thanks bp, happy holidays.

stay-at-home mum said...

Hi bp
You are doing a great job.
"Salute"!
We stopped making home made cards. Kids are getting too lazy and I cant seem to find the time. So, this year, for us everything is commercialised. Gifts are all store bought. I just feel so sorry for Little D, missing out on all this fun. Maybe, next year! Only thing I do is wrap the gifts myself.

Anonymous said...

Wow, you've put so much effort into your Christmas preps.

Been really busy....

Anyway, wishing you and your beautiful family a very Merry Christmas and a happy New Year.

bp said...

Kopi Soh - Take, take as much as you can for yourself, Kopi Boy, and Kopi Hia also!

SAHM - Thanks for the encouragement. Taking a shortcut here and there eventually worked for the better, and like the glitter glue, it was squeeze and press, decorate as the boys wished!

It's nice that you are wrapping the gifts yourself, and that's effort, too, not to mention how much time and thought you have put into picking out gifts for everyone!

Judy,
Thanks for swinging by, for I know you're very busy, because you have been working very hard, putting others before yourself! Have a good rest, when you get the chance!

Thanks everyone, for your well-wishes! A very Merry Christmas to you and your family, too! =)

Priscilla said...

BP, what a amazing woman you are! Those cookies, cakes look beautiful and I am sure it is nice to eat too. You are doing great and have done so for a long time. I hope you will slow down, have a rest, enjoy the festive mood over Xmas and New Year too. Have a glass of red if you can, enjoy! You deserve it! Today is the last working day for me, I am just looking forward to a nice Xmas and break wih my family!

Blur Mommy said...

Wow, you are amazing! That's a lot of work! :) Hope you get some well-deserved rest & enjoy your holidays!

bp said...

Priscilla, Blur Mommy,
Thanks, you're overgenerous with your kind words, and you know, I'm always inspired by the lovely things you do for those you love and care about.

Enjoy your year-end now, and have a great 2008, you and your family!

NomadicMom said...

Waaaaaa...so good lah you!!! So much effort in your gifts!!!