
Have you had this Chinese rice cake, or Niangao, that's more noodle than cake? It has a starchy texture, is made of just rice and water, and because there's "more" noodle to chew on, it has more "bite" in that sense.
The first time we ordered it was at a Chinese eatery. The cook had made it with some minced meat. And that was when we found out that it was anything but the Niangao we were used to back home. You know, the sticky brown kind for Chinese New Year, that some would love to have fried with an egg batter, but for me, I could eat it steamed on its own because of its sweetness.
The second time was when a fellow Singaporean here, made it for a party. I remember her telling us she had to leave the rice cake soaked for more than the suggested time -- something like, a whole day, before it softened! But it was well worth the effort, because we all enjoyed it!
And so, when I chanced on a frozen version of the Niangao, at the usual Chinese supermarket, I decided to give it a try. I've never cooked it myself, until now. For the frozen version, you just need to soak it in hot water for 2 minutes, but I left it there for longer, while I scrounged my freezer for whatever ready ingredients I could use to beef it up.
In the end, it's this seafoodish version we had -- with shrimp, clam, and part-fish/part imitation lobster (my substitution from the regular supermarket, for DoDo fishballs, ever since the DoDos were still being sold after months they were expired). All of which I just had to thaw out, and toss into the wok to fry with some garlic and oil!
And treating the Niangao like I would any macaroni or pasta -- like noodles, too, I seasoned everything in the wok with the usual works... soya sauce, pepper, and sesame oil. Like always, I also added some rice wine and oyster sauce -- easily accessible, "secret" ingredients. The bean sprouts I put in last, so they would still be crispy!
The result went down well with my three guys, and Ben who's always a noodle person, asked for seconds and thirds! This is something quick enough to make for a simple meal, the kind I like to cook for lunch. And it should work for dinner, also, but if you, like me and my husband (but he won't admit it), belong to the "must-have meat" non-vegetarian group, when it comes to dinner especially, you can always throw in some meat, if not add a side dish, or soup, for a fuller meal!
Have you tried something

6 comments:
I wonder if I can do the same with the korean rice cake! I bought one packet from Baili a few months ago and it's still sitting in the freezer~~~~
At first glance, I thought this is ho fun! :D
I like your generous spread of shrimps. Do you know cooking can also show one's character? :)
The nearest to a man's heart is the stomach. bp, I am sure you have really really really reached and touched the man's heart, not only one, three of them! yay!
Wow, I have never tried this before. It looks like the flat rice noodle (ho fun) we have here. Bit I agree with u, a noodle dish is the simplest and quickest meal!
Mandy,
Is Korean rice cake also thicker like this Chinese one? I'm sure you'll work magic with it!
Yan,
Thanks. I like to put as much "liao" as possible, and was just thinking, I forgot the sotong rings and mushroom! Next time!
Priscilla,
Yes, looks like ho fun, except it's thicker -- think fishcake sliced up into ovals. So it's a lot more starchy than the usual kway teow, more to chew. I was afraid the boys won't like the different texture, but glad it went OK.
This type of rice cake is part of "hokkien" food. Normally, we fry it using dark soya sauce.
Nomadic Mom,
Thanks for pointing that out. Next time I try with dark soya sauce!
Post a Comment