
- These baby mandarin oranges are in season, ahead of Chinese New Year. Almost didn't get them, because they have a way of bringing on the sniffles and phlegm, I've noticed, for my boys. But I guess everything in moderation is alright, and the Clementines' really sweet, and mostly seedless!

- Our friends made pineapple rice, kungbao chicken, curry chicken, and brinjal with beef! Yum, yum, yum!!! I made grilled chicken, pork stew, a seafoodish noodle, two vegetables, and a salad. Together, that's what we had!

- A lovely vanilla bean one that Mandy made!




- and memories are made of these!
After our party, we got an impromptu invitation from an American couple to have dinner at their home. We went and got gifts for their children before shops closed for Christmas, and I also made these cut-out cookies for them.

I know they weren't expecting us to bring anything, but the best part was that they had everything thought out -- on how to celebrate the reason for the season, and in ways our children, not just theirs, would be able to identify with!
Jon and their eldest read out verses from the bible about the angel visiting Mary and Joseph. We also sang some Christmas songs -- the carols that my own boys had told me we didn't manage to do during our gathering earlier. Every one of us, including their youngest, and Ben, also prayed what came to mind, and there were many a thankful heart there!

Our hostess had made a nice chocolate cake, that we all ate after dinner. But not before we'd sung "Happy Birthday" to Jesus, and all the children -- gathered around the cake -- had blown the candles!
It was all very informal and relaxed. In fact, she was just starting to prepare dinner when we arrived, and as she got the chicken cooking, I did the vegetable stir-fry. We chatted some, so did the two husbands; all this, while the children were running around, quite crazy at times (you know kids!), but enjoying themselves!
... and thank you for CARING!
Now, I must say, that it is truly such spotaneity among friends, not only within our immediate circle, but also with those we don't know all that well -- that we are very thankful for!
The wonderful people that God brings into our lives, to be there for us, sometimes when we least expect it! Pretty much like how with those of you out there, too, whose path mine has met, and I am grateful to have found a friend in you!
Have a restful rest of the year now, and ready (or not?) to go full steam ahead for...
A
COOL
2008!





10 comments:
It really is so touching the way people will open up their homes and welcome newcomers, isn't it? I felt so humbled by the generosity of our new friends here!
I was so busy chatting and meeting people, I didn't even take any photos of our gatherings!
May the coming year bring you and your family good health and good times! I am indeed glad that our paths finally crossed (I have seen you in blogland for a while before this) and maybe some day we may even meet! :)
Kat,
I know what you mean, the things we appreciate even more in a home away from home. We didn't start out taking pictures of gatherings, and we still don't if it's just with a couple of people. But when when it's a bigger group, because it's always harder to get every one together, it's nice when we have pictures to cherish the time spent together. Also because people move away, faster than we think, and we do miss them!
I'm glad too our paths crossed, and yes, it'll be doubly nice to meet you in person =)
Here's to good health and good times, for you and your family, too! *toast* Thanks!
What a wonderful way to celebrate christmas! (the readings and all!) Must try that next year.
And, oh! I love your christmas cookies. I wish I wasnt soooo lazy, and made some myself.
Thanks for all your sharing and photos.
Happy New Year!
Haha.. Such a fun post comprising of so many Cs! And the food stands out most! Clementines, Cheesecake, Cookies, Chicken, Chocolate Cakes!Yummmm!!
The first photo of the clementines reminded me of CNY indeed! Another festivity to look forward too. Another round of pigging!:)
I love your cut out Star cookie. So pretty!
Well, you sure had a lovely Christmas spent with loved ones. Have a wonderful 2008! :)
Drop by to wish u hapi new year!!!!
SAHM, Jomel, KopiSoh,
Thanks! Yes, our Christmas makan looked more than CNY! No turkey or ham! Hehe!
Wishing all of you a very Happy New Year!!!
Kerismas kooky eat pinish liao, got New Year one kambing boh?
First time here.
Nice photos - those will certainly be treasured items as time flies by.
ANyway, have a Happy New Year and do have a great time again!
You are really a "words person", bp.
I think I would have to crown you as a "wordsmith" as well. I was given that name last year by a great professor when I interviewed him for my newspaper.
It was in an email that this professor wrote, "You are a real wordsmith."
You know, as you aged, your vision is not that good. I read that as "wordsworth"! Having half of the name of William Wordsworth - what greater honour could I have as a journalist?
My joy was shortlived! But this professor wrote this -
Wordsworth is but an English man good with words.
You are our own Sarawak woman and thus better than him!
So, I settle with wordsmith. Hope you like this "crown".
Happy new year!
KopiSoh,
Sorry, I haven't baked anything since... but you're always welcome to come makan with us! =)
Tot's Mom,
Hi hi! Thanks, and you have a great new year now!
Yan,
Thanks, you are awfully generous with your compliment! Writing was a big part of my PR job back home, that I enjoyed, but so much more of it that I still don't know!
You're truly the wordsmith, and the one and only Sarawak Wordsworth! I always enjoy your writing! You're in the right field, indeed!
Have a blessed New Year!
Post a Comment