Saturday, December 4, 2010

"Look, snow!" and feeling the warmth


"This is the moment I've been waiting for!"

"Look, snow... lots snow. I like snow! Where my boots? I want wear boots... play Gor Gor!"

"SNOWBALL FIGHT!!!"

These were the children's enthusiastic responses --
to the first flurries (Ben),

then the first accumulation (Kait) almost a week after that,

and what else was on all their minds, besides the "20 minute fort" (Jon) they put together that same day after school.


Getting the snowball rolling...


Keep going...


One more...

Ta-da!!!
The snowfort the kids worked on together!

Of course it's not always quite so snow-perfect. And I'm not talking about how more carefully we have to drive on more snow than this -- after another heavier snowfall, as it is navigating through the sea of slush when the snow melts -- that's not a pretty sight either.

But let me try and keep the peace here, hehe, and bask in such a precious moment of the children playing quite nicely together! ;p

***
Fastforward to after more snow has accumulated since the first snowfall...

The snow plow finally made it to our street! It did such a good job compacting the snow and throwing the chunky blocks to the sides, it took us a lot more effort to clear the driveway -- so as not to be snowed in! What an irony!

Now here's what I love about my husband, and I am writing it down, so blessed to be married to the kind man that he is:

After we were done and I'd come back inside with the younger two children, Vern and our eldest Jon went and helped shovel a neighbour's driveway without being asked. Then, with that neighbour who had been helped, they all went on to help another two more neighbours that way -- and it's true more hands helped make that laborious work lighter. After that, there was still another neighbour who came out after everyone had gone back in. We were actually already in our car by that time, about to drive off. Still, good Vern asked me if we could wait for him and Jon his good helper to pick up their shovels again to go lend a hand once more. Of course -- go, guys, go!

We missed church that Thanksgiving weekend, but that was a wonderful "love your neighbour" opportunity there. Among more ways you and I can be there for a neighbour, friend, and also the less fortunate. It is always more blessed to give than to receive.

And feeling the warmth...

We've also been wonderfully blessed to be on the receiving end, often when we least expect it.

My loving friend from Singapore who seizes opportunity after opportunity to bless us, picked out a scarf for me -- to help me stay warm this winter. The way a newer friend this time last year, who lives in the state next-door and a caring `neighbour' she is though we've not met, had gone to all the effort to knit me a scarf also. Over thanksgiving was when another thoughtful old buddy went the extra mile to get us our Christmas gifts already.

I'm touched by these lengths they go to, they don't need to. And you know that a warm hello in the email or on this blog always warms my heart just as much :). Other ways and times our friends have blessed us, we're thankful for. Including those precious, precious moments when we were able to catch up with old pals during our July visit, and it was also my honor to meet a few newer friends for the first time then.

Thank you, I am grateful for your precious gift of friendship! The world is a warmer place because someone like you makes time for friends!

"Good friends are like snowflakes
each is unique,
heaven sent,
and makes the world a beautiful place."
(unknown)

10 comments:

bp said...

Hi SAHM,
Thanks for dropping by just now, but i hit the wrong button and poof! your comments' gone like this, sorry! Anyway, cheers to our BBFF--ship... *extends hand for pinkie-shake*!

Stardust said...

Oooh... I'm feeling all the scarfy warmth there already. Really, as years gone by, I've felt too that nothing beats tender care and love like such. So glad for you dear.
And yes, for the wonderful Vern and junior, I wonder when Bear ever learns such virtues. True that love is afterall from the heart, bears can never fake it. It's encouraging, how love snowballs and has influence, a reminder again that Christ has ordered us to learn that selfless love for His kingdom.

Thank you again sister, for always making me that receiving end. Such tender sisterly love that makes bad days better. Mind's not helping me express, but I hope you'll hear me when I say, I'm so THANKFUL for you. HUGS.. SOBS!!

Isn't it time we know each others' address? :P

Jo said...

You totally deserve such kindred spirits in your life, BP. Kindness begets kindness, no I don't mean that you have to be kind because you want a return in kind, but it's just something akin to what goes around, comes around, if you know what I mean. So I believe you deserve the warm and loving friends that you've been blessed with. And bless Vern too, for his kind heart, helping his neighbors in times of need. Surely that was such a great example to set for the kids, and in their eyes, their dad must have been the hero of the day! Aww.. Just lovely! :) :)

Jo said...

Oh yes, I forgot to mention, that pic of you with Kait with shovels, looks so cute! You look like the cool mom with the sunglasses, unfrazzled, unlike me. Haha!

bp said...

Stardust,
Thanks my friend for being here for me always! I also like these verses:
"We love because He first loved us"
"A friend loves at all times"
and...
I thank God whenever I think of you :).

And hey, Bear is a really nice and kind man, too, and there are such wonderful things about him that you have shared, and he loves you so very much. You are both so blessed to have each other, and him, you :).

bp said...

Jomel,
Thanks for expressing better what I was trying to say, and I hope what I managed to write in the post came out in the right spirit. I get what you mean that it comes full circle, and feel the same way too that we give not expecting to get anything back. and then when we receive, it's heaven-sent! Thanks for your blessings, and being a blessing to me!

Unfrazzled i am NOT lah, my dear, i am always scrambling to try and not be so behind in the things to do every day! and those are my regular spectacles but now with transitional lenses that i finally decided i am "old enough" to have. they also do a terrific job hiding my dark circles, as u can see, haha!

slavemom said...

Birds of a feather flock together. It's obvious y u're surrounded with thotful n good frens. Coz u're one urself. ;)
And Vern too, such a kind n helpful man. U two r really great role models for the kids.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for being a blessing to me friend / twin!
-fay

bp said...

Slavemom,
So kind of you with your v kind words, that was just a random act of kindness i wrote about in my sleep-deprived state among all the things big and small to be thankful for in our lives! but aiyoh, we are not "really great" role models lah, far from it. so much so much more to learn and work at in our lives. and parenting is hard! one step at a time, yah. Thanks for your encouragement here, my friend!

Fay,
And thank you dearie for the great friend and twin you are to me always :)

BlurMommy said...

Hi BP,
Thanks for dropping by my blog to wish C a happy birthday. That was so nice of Vern & Jon to be so thoughtful to your neighbours. Wish you guys are our neighbours! We needed a shovel to get out of our house.during that Thanksgiving week too. Hehehe..... Yes, friends are definitely blessings from God.
Wishing you and your family a very blessed Christmas.