
"But I've always wanted a dog," was how the young man had run his idea by us.
All the reasons why he was ready to adopt a pet from a class project. Not just run after lost sheep and other animals to give them a home on two makebelieve farms (his dad's, and the other one's supposedly mine).
It was sweet of younger brother to offer to pay for the food. I took them to buy a slightly better home -- than the original juice bottle (!) the li'l critter had been living in!
That was end last month. And now, because FISH-E has been doing swimmingly well since, Jon is ready to take his pet project to the next phase!
Today (in the picture), our two "men in black" after shovelling snow, have gone fishing. Not fishing fishing in this crazy cold weather. But Black Friday shopping for... FISH!
I'm happy with whatever new fish(es) they come back with. And especially if the pet owner and his two, up to three, able helpers, not counting this mom, will take care of the cleaning and scrubbing, haha! I do have some real cleaning and scrubbing to get back to after trying to play catch-up here! ;p
***
A different errand earlier this month I was happy to run...
Going with Kait to deliver lunch for her brothers in school.
It was the big boy's birthday; Jon happy among his friends, including Tr who gave me a hand with the balloons (just three small ones, not more 'coz big boys may not be as happy/surprised with moms carried away like this), and J who sang him a quick "Happy Birthday"! Just before Jon dug into his fave Panda Express bowl -- mandarin chicken with noodles :).Turning 10 that day, he wanted me to make a note of him running the one-page classroom newsletter. That was something he also persuaded his teacher to let him do. And I try not to be the one running after him to meet his deadlines (on top of other reminders I have to try and not run out of patience for)!

At home, he frosted his cake for the first time and topped it with some candy from the Halloween loot to spell out J-O-N. It was a pineapple-coconut cake Ben had helped me bake when he missed school.
We managed to have a nice meal outside, too, that second day Vern didn't run late coming back from his work trip. Taking a raincheck though on another idea, as wasn't sure if I could run after a bunch of boys and the younger two children, plus take care of the food and all, by myself while the husband was away.
Still, I guess the best icing on the cake is always being able to spend one's special day with the people you love. Jon is also blessed with the well-wishes from our dear ones back home, including a couple of my old friends who remembered.
Still, I guess the best icing on the cake is always being able to spend one's special day with the people you love. Jon is also blessed with the well-wishes from our dear ones back home, including a couple of my old friends who remembered.
May Jon be a blessing to those who know him. Help us Lord, too, as parents to know how to run with our children -- beside them or behind them, as they run with their dreams! (Among other running around we did earlier, Ben and Kait with me cheered Jon for his Bloomsday training, before Jon ran in this year's America's Kids Run, before the cross-country that Ben also took part in, for which Kait and I continued to give them our support. Jon is looking forward to Bloomsday as his next goal. He loves to read and daydream, too, and is not afraid to dream).
Pictures added to post.
Last picture: Turkey prep on Thanksgiving Day! I actually drove out in subzero temperatures to get the turkey and stock up on more grocery, the next day after Vern had returned from his work trip and could watch Kait for a bit, rather than for me to drag her out in the deep freeze! It was in fact a busier morning at the supermarket (read: life as usual despite the arctic cold), and I was probably the warmest-clad one there!
Last picture: Turkey prep on Thanksgiving Day! I actually drove out in subzero temperatures to get the turkey and stock up on more grocery, the next day after Vern had returned from his work trip and could watch Kait for a bit, rather than for me to drag her out in the deep freeze! It was in fact a busier morning at the supermarket (read: life as usual despite the arctic cold), and I was probably the warmest-clad one there!

6 comments:
HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY! To Jon and the lovely mom BP! Sorry for being late here, but yay, I caught the happy vibes fresh. ;) That looks like a fabulous party with smiles and goodies. Wish I was there.
We get to see Fish-E? soon? :P Don't offer to clean anything, don't! Once you're in, you'll be for good. Ooops, me teaching bad stuff here.
Love Kait on the icon! Naturally LOVELY!
happy birthday Jon! lots of hugs and kisses
Ur b'day's over edi? Then Happy Belated Birthday to you and Jon!
Yes, he's a big boy edi. Taking care of his own pets is a vy good way to train him to be responsible.
Sorry I am late in wishing Jon a happy birthday!
Like stardust said, don't clean it for them, or very soon it will be yours to clean all by yourself!!
Stardust,
Thanks. I'm glad that lunch errand worked out, it was more manageable than a real party to do on my own while Vern was away and I decided not to "biah" for that 'coz kids and I were also feeling under the weather with rain and temps starting to turn cold then! Apparently the older children also don't bring in cookies/cupcakes from home anymore on their b'days, unless it's some class party to celebrate some other occasion.
Hehe, you are still cleaning Bear's aquarium? Hopefully u have to do it only when he is outstationed.
Sting,
Thanks, and I hope Zen is all better, u take care.
Slavemom,
Thanks, thanks, and there are also the other little responsibilities that as mom I have to encourage the children to do, too!
SAHM,
Thanks and no worries, I also posted this quite late. I hope you had (or are having, still, if you're not back yet) a blast on your trip, rain or shine!
Bear's fish perished last year! Am I wicked or what? Hehehe. No pets allowed for as long as I see now... A bear is tough enough.
Post a Comment