An accumulation of leaves under this tree beckons the children to step this way and get a little kick out of the rustling!It was a nice stop-and-gaze moment for me as well, after picking up the boys, before picking up our pace again.
Pace yourself, was the thoughtful advice from a blogger-friend during this season of Vern's frequent work trips. In the last two weeks alone, he was away four times. That was hectic for him, buried in work still after this week's trip, while I felt the strain of being a parent 24/7 more than if he were working late.
When the weekend came, the children also felt his absence: Why is daddy away every day? I drove us to this park, before they drove me up the wall! At that leaf festival, below:
An even bigger pile of leaves screams to Ben to jump right in! Cannonball!!!
But better I not harp on how much the children have been fighting, and focus rather on what consequences to give them that they will take seriously. Here are some of their antics instead, I'll try not to miss when they grow up too fast, too soon. Hopefully, prayerfully, they will be more sensible and responsible.
Homework is anything but dull...
The eldest thinks himself clever when he suceeds in flying off the stairs, and also for thinking it's easier to get his schoolwork done by asking for my help every other sentence and problem. That's why he's left his seat again.
He lands right in front of the youngest! She is thankfully also too distracted to give me a "monkey-see monkey-do" replay of his daredevil act. But she is turning the wooden pieces from the puzzles she knows how to fix into a discus-throwing game!
By which time, the middle child has not sat down to read together. He is not quite done throwing a big fit over his little Lego Star Wars guys decapitated by the little sister earlier in the day. That, while this mom was getting a headstart with dinner prep before heading out with the li'l girl to fetch the boys.
But see, I can really use their cooperation not to make homework out to be a drag drag homework past dinner. Especially during those busier "seize the day" days with extracurricular activities and more zipping around to do, and we really have to STEP ON IT!
(Written earlier, rolled out with pictures finally).

8 comments:
*hugs* It's tough when Vern is not around. Another pair of hands, or eyes to keep an eye on the kids sure help! Any chance of getting some help when the going gets too tough? Just hang on ... and we are rooting for you!!
oh, it's autumn again ya :-) time flies...
I too try not to focus on the kids' mischief but their antics... take care
Hugs, am sorry for not turning up earlier. But my thoughts are constantly at your home, knowing how hard it must be to run the house 24/7 mostly on your own. Like your friend and Ben said, 'pace yourself', and be kind to yourself too..always remember. And don't forget to remind yourself how far you've come, surely days get better with all that efforts laid down. Our Father in heaven must be so proud of your virtues and goodness, surely your house is blessed.
Hang in there! Like SAHM said, we're rooting for you! More hugs..
Oops, forgot to mention : beautiful heaps over there. Great capture on Ben's ultra dash!
thinking of you and sending hugs!
-fay
I really dunno how u do it. Taking care of 3 kids on ur own w/out any helper. And it's def harder with Vern being away so frequently. I'm really pampered in comparison. *blush* Give urself a pat in the back. U're doing great. Actually, more than great. ;)
Just dropping by to check on you. Vern must be back by now, and I hope life is more sane! Hope every things A-OK on your end!!
Just a Hangover from too much halloweening, I hope!
Thanks all for coming by with your hugs and warm thots, I really appreciate it!
SAHM - Thanks for dropping by again, thanks for caring! Vern is away for two days every week still, but u bet I am looking fwd to the new year when hopefully he won't have to travel as frequently in the next qtr at least.
Post a Comment