Saturday, July 31, 2010

"Mommy, did I have dinner?"

We're back in Spokane but much more jetlagged than when we arrived in Singapore.

I'm trying not to do the time conversion thing. But at 2.50am when two WIDE AWAKE children are waiting for me to give them dinner, it makes sense because the husband reminds me it's already 5.50pm in Singapore!


Only Jon, the one least resistant to naps, is making up for the lack of sleep better. Now how do I get that across to Ben and Kait -- that we all need more hours of sleep every day?!

There's also more to unpack because we had lugged back our old belongings. That was the very tedious part of our trip: consolidating them from our different relatives' homes. Stuff like old photo albums of our childhood, wedding, and Jon's first years, and some fave things of sentimental value -- for which memories are made of these. But it was quite the juggling act at the airports, with more to cart around to check in and re-check in, and what with the long walk to the security checkpoint and all.

Believe me there were more crazy moments than this "feels like moving house (again)" part. But here's what we really have to be grateful for: The precious moments and memories we packed in from the trip itself.

Squeezing in this update amidst the chaos, and us being thrown back into the swing of things. Besides what Vern has unpacked into organized messes and still more messes to get to, there are also our heaps of laundry everywhere I'm working on the backlog and new loads. Though I churned them out faithfully while in Singapore, it was only for as much clothes that could air-dry in time. The housewife part of me is happy to see my trusty dryer again (vs. the less efficient ones at where we stayed)! And yes, it's always good to be connected again and especially with those of you who come here and see how we're doing.

Picture added, courtesy of the husband's phone, and more about Kait's haircut later.

10 comments:

stay-at-home mum said...

Home already!! Sorry I couldnt meet up with you another time, but the last few weeks has been hectic for me!! (and to think I was on homeground) - but lil D's social calendar was FULL of parties. Glad you managed to lug home more of your happy memories! But dont wait too long before another visit here.

Morning's Light said...

Hello BP!

Good to know that everyone's safe at home. =) I have really fond memories of the outing at Night Safari! And I think about it from time to time, and yes, it's just about a week and I'm still finding joy in it ( amidst the challenges of my own ).

I learnt so many things from observing your three little ones. I learnt from Jon, that 成熟稳重 style that I hope to nurture in myself. That calm and steady demeanour that I feel I need more of.

From Ben, I learnt to ask questions because you often get what you need only if you ask for it, as our good Lord has promised. And sometimes, it's not difficult to get what you seek, if only you dare to ask in the first place. =) I'll remember the "Can you carry me?" And, yes, I will carry Ben again if he asks me to. No aching arms at all, surprisingly. =)

And in little Kaitlyn, I learnt that I should try to appreciate the little things in life more. I felt so inspired just by watching Kaitlyn enjoy the "breeze" made with the paper that I grabbed from my bag. She had this "Oh, thank you God, for the cooling breeze" look on her face, and she looked so happy just feeling the "wind" on her face. It's the kind of joy that I pray I have everyday, to find delight in the simplest of things.

Have a good rest, all of you, to recover from the jet lag. And see you on your blog. ( As you have already found out, I've stopped blogging. Maybe for awhile. Maybe for good. But if I do start again, I'll send the blog address to you. )

Take care in the meantime and God bless.

Annie

bp said...

SAHM,
Many thanks for the rare opportunity of meeting face to face, that's among the precious moments I got to take back with me! Hope you are stealing moments for yourself amid running around with/for your family. I know what you mean about the kids and their social calendars. On my end, Jon has a friend's party coming up, and coming back I've also taken Ben to one and also for another playdate... Hoping that keeping them awake and active in the day will help us all switch back to US time soon! Kait's been up since 2+ am, and Ben soon after that, but neither of them is interested in napping in the day!

bp said...

Hi Hi Riguang Yu,
Thanks so much for cherishing the sweet memories from our Nite Safari outing, and sharing with me here your very kind words about the children. You were wonderful with them, special thanks especially for your patience, and also your strength carrying Ben! It was a joy for me, too, being able to meet you finally!

Please take good care my friend, and I pray that our good Lord will give you the strength and wisdom to cope with your challenges, I can imagine they can't be easy. But hang in there, hang on to Him, yah! Is there another platform e.g. email or FB I can find you at? Feel free to drop me a line here, or at my gmail and I do have an FB acct tho' I'm not there regularly. For the blog, there's also the closed blog option, and if blogging it out that way helps you the way it gives me an outlet, I'll love for you to include/invite me as your reader, yah. Stay in touch! Hugs for you and God's blessings to you always (I remember too the prayer you asked Ben to pray with you, may the Lord give you your heart's desires. Amen).

Stardust said...

You're back? お疲れ様!( You've worked hard ).

I'm so familiar with the feelings on packing, and consolidating 'outstanding' stuff laid back 'home'. And you must have more! So pats on your back for all that hard work, and the tedious travel. So the peak is conquered, thank God the harder tasks are completed!

Hope your family is grasping local rhythm soon. As for the backlog, one at a time ok. And again be careful about exhaustion, it just sneaks in when you think you are 'cheong-ing' fine... Take care!

Me ah, flying on 8th. Pshhhh.. Now trying to make home a perfect habitat for a reliant bear.

bp said...

Stardust,
Thanks for understanding. I don't know how come we still ended up with lots of stuff and not so fortunately, we are more 'clutter' people so there are more heaps and mountains to conquer and try and put some order to our many messes! There are also the daily stuff and challenges with the children... i better heed your reminder not to "cheong", 'coz their craziness makes this mom crazy too :(.

You have a good visit akan datang! Isn't Bear joining you?

Stardust said...

Yep, me going back alone, but I can't wait to. Japan is so hot! It's a short trip, 2 weeks, hope the heat wears off when I'm back.

Yah, don't cheong. Sometimes, cheonging doesn't really make things a lot faster. (~~)

slavemom said...

This jetlag souvenir is really no fun yeah. Must be tough for a disoriented mom having to care for young disoriented kids. :D Hope u guys r much more settled now. Rmbr, 1 day at a time, ok? ;)

Jo said...

Hahaha.. it's so funny how you related about the kids waiting for you to serve dinner at 2.50am! Although I know it can't be all that funny when you were the one having to deal with that. Still it's funny, don't you think? Anyway, I hope the jet-lagged issue is all settled now, and you too are finding, if not already found, your footing amidst all the unpacking. Nothing perishable, so no rush. You really don't need the added stress, what with house chores and children already keeping you so busy. Just do your best, and then rest! *HUGS*

bp said...

Stardust,
I hope you're having a great time with family and friends, and your brother's special day and moment!

Slavemom,
Thanks, disoriented is the word, you're right. Sill more messes we didn't just wake up to (sigh!) to try and put in some order, we're not neat people unfortunately, and yet also only so much energy to do that one night at a time!

Jomel,
Thanks. Ben was the one asking me if he had dinner when he woke up at 4am the nite b4 that. when he fell asleep after not having dinner, and his excitement I didn't share tho' over being able to play 'coz the sun was coming out already! But Kait had only slept for a few hours!

I'm relieved we're back to more regular hours now, tho' the girl is nursing non-stop day n nite, among other demands from the other two that leave me so exhausted physically and mentally! Meanwhile, I'm leaving more of those physical messes to "rot", but only for so long 'coz like dust and clothes, they pile up so relentlessly!