Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Boing! Spring has sprung!

I gave my cluttered mind a break, and stepped outside with the children for a much needed breath of fresh air!

Ahhh, downtime, everyone's happy with that. And spring's just sprung!
Feb 10 - Mar 10 bpcell 107

Hear the bird
s go "chirp, chirp" and "tweet, tweet". See the shoots just poking out of the ground -- to catch some sun, and rain, more rain to come water them so the buds can bloom.

Feb 10 - Mar 10 bpcell 113 cFeb 10 - Mar 10 bpcell 110

And keeping it real...
"Miiiiiiinnnnnneeeeee!!!!", cried Kait, as she wailed and screamed after Jon, chasing him down when he stole the ball away from her!

Kait and her ubiquitous "Mine!" all of this month. Sharing is hard -- not just for her, but the older two also.

Then, there's the other "Mine!", that has the reverse effect on them though. The daily challenge of teaching our children to be responsible for those basic things, from homework to putting away their stuff, that are rightfully theirs and ought to be routine by now. Instead, they wrestle with me ("noooooooo!!!"), cry not fair ("why me, why should I?"), and feign ignorance ("but I don't know how")!

Mine... I want to keep my sanity, and our joy -- those smiles that add springs to our steps! Not the disrespect, disobedience, and defiance that see me pull my hair out, and I am still learning not to jump when I'm overwhelmed by all the pushing of buttons. There's much more to parenting I need to learn, one day at time.

Mine...

Feb 10 - Mar 10 bpcell 117

... mine... and... mine!!!
Feb 10 - Mar 10 bpcell 118Feb 10 - Mar 10 bpcell 114 c
Kait, all smiles again, when she got back her joy!

Back home...
I was done cooking the rice, and also some boneless chicken in a jiffy using the toaster oven earlier, that's one way to beat the clock and hungry stomachs. Just saves the asparagus, an early spring vegetable I have to do a quick stir-fry with shrimp, and "Guys, dinner's ready!"!

Mar 10 i 20Mar 10 i 26


Another day, another chicken dinner...

Right: my version of the "spring chicken", haha!

Below: a more moist Teriyaki chicken.
All oven-roasted, it remains my fave way to cook more portions for planned leftovers, with or without vegetables tossed in to be roasted at the same time (to kill two birds with one stone!).

I like that it's relatively fuss-free, and whatever oil-splattering happens inside the oven. Just don't look there, our basic self-cleaning oven doesn't really clean itself though. Something else for me to add to my springcleaning list, besides our growing clutter!



7 comments:

Stardust said...

Glad that you've made some time for Spring. =) Looking forward to being pampered by the Spring vegs. Spring is not so happening at our place yet plus Bear is busy.

Ok, so Kait picks up 'minnnneee'. =P

stay-at-home mum said...

Mine - even at 14 S still uses it on her siblings when she is in a not so good mood. So I guess you will be hearing that for some time to come. But I always tell them - none of it is theirs but MINE - coz I paid for it so they just have to share!!

slavemom said...

Next time, bring along more balls. hehehe W/end coming soon, hv a good one, bp!

Jo said...

hahaha... kait looks like a little doll running around in the open space. Yeah, doesn't it exasperate you BP? When the older kids don't even care to give in to someone so tiny??? I have my fair share of that. Not that there's any tiny people in the house, but there's definitely people who's younger, and therefore mentally and emotionally not too capable of rationing, and people who's older, but so incapable of rationing (to give in to the younger one) either! Hmmppff! That's how it is with kids. Doesn't matter how old.

The meals are just sooooo wholesome.. And you made me want to go find some asparagus in the shop tomorrow!! :)

Self-cleaning oven.. got ah? I want to buy one too! Hehehehe!

Stardust said...

Ok, I didn't catch the picts of your menu last visit and WOW, that's a mountain of asparagus you're serving! I better reconsider my stingy serving! Ha!

Anonymous said...

mei mei is so cute .... thanks for the reminder about sibling dynamics ... i absolutely hate the "referee-ing" part of parenthood! thanks for always providing me visuals of what our family might look like in the near future!
glad you are enjoying the warmer weather and getting opportunities to get the kids and yourself outdoors. my allergies are super bad now. hope noone in your family suffers from it!
is it spring break yet where you are? today is the last day of ours.
take care!
-fay

bp said...

Thanks all for your kind words n sharing...

Stardust,
i'm looking fwd to the blooms, n also the ones on ur end!. all the best with Bear's project, n u keep feeding him well with bear portions :)!

SAHM,
hahaha, i have to tell my kids that too... MIIINNNEEE!!!

Slavemom,
hehe, i did that but somehow everyone gravitates to the same ball!

Jomel,
yes, u described it well... not just in this scene, but i am chasing after the older one(s) n having to plead with him(/them) to give in to the youngest. they who are more capable of understanding, but just won't. why? not fair woah, "why should i?"... u know how it is. how not to jump?! *exasperated mom look*

i'm going to shelve cleaning the oven, coz i use it to cook often. ours is an old, basic model. the newer, more ex ones have more sophisticated options n probably do clean well at the push of buttons.

Fay,
sorry if my accounts (in keeping 'em real) aren't just abt the positive side of things. i pray ur allergies will get better, i know how awful it is. i have sinus, n expecting ben last time it flared up really badly, my ob/gyn had to refer me to a respi specialist who gave me stronger sprays n courses of antibiotics in my last trimester. this season, i do have my nasal spray on standby, the rain has helped.

springbreak for our boys is next wk, but vern will be busy with work. i haven't thot abt what i can do with the 3 kids. i'm glad u squeezed in that family vacation, must have been lots of fun! pl take care, n i'm counting down with u to ur EDD!