Friday, October 9, 2009

Off the beaten track

Sep 09 iii 224 sSep 09 iii 214 c
Sep 09 iii 221 s
Above: Kait, gleeful over a branch she picked up from the ground, uses it to poke a pine cone, and as a hiking stick -- to catch up with the guys! WAIT UP!!!

There we were, visiting with our children's honorary grandpa in nearby Idaho, on that final weekend of summer last month:

We traipsed around a little...

... and stopped to gaze a lot...
Sep 09 iii 233 s
Sep 09 iii 213 s

Ahhh...
Sep 09 iii 163 s

... the majesty of His handiwork!
Sep 09 iii 164 s

Jon and Ben didn't want that weekend to end.

Me neither.
Sep 09 iii 180 s c

Into the new season...
The fall colours are showing after the frost last weekend, after the children got better from the bug going around, that left us understandably more exhausted because of many more night wakings. And with Vern's heavy workload spilling into the nights and weekends, though not unlike the long hours he put in before, it's always tiring for him working late as it's for me tending to the children. But all the more I appreciate it when he carves out family time for us.

To try and catch him to sit down together for dinner, I push it to after 7.30pm, and give the kids a bigger snack before homework, and try and bathe them after I cook, instead of nearer to bedtime. Those afterschool hours are always my busiest (and often craziest, too), and meltdowns and fights more than spills and messes can just throw things off-track. It's sapping and can really wear my patience thin. But I try and stay positive by telling myself not to stop trying, trying to pull our act together on a daily basis, that's what moms do.


And schedules and weather permitting, being able to kick back and relax, and it need not be in a big way, is surely something we look forward to. I hope you can steal some time for that this weekend... have a good one!

This was Kait's first real hike at 13 months old. The rocky beach is at the beautiful Green Bay.

11 comments:

Yan said...

bp,

That's awesome! I would not want to end it too!

Glad that you are back to "routine". To me, it means another awesome place to visit and enjoy and be inspired in this blogsphere.

stay-at-home mum said...

I love that cheeky smile Kait gave to her "honorary grandpa".

Yes, we all try our best, and you are doing great!!With kids, many things esp schedules can get derailed. But HE works in his own ways and has a reason for everything. So just bear with it and SMILE.

You have a great weekend too!

slavemom said...

Wat a great getaway. The plc looks awesome. And all of u r so smiley here. Great pics!
U hv a wonderful w/end too!

NomadicMom said...

Being a mom is NOT easy. Sometimes you just want to step back and NOT care...but just can't. I am having constant problems with my boys being irresponsble with their things (lost water bottle, swimming cap etc etc) and also work (not doing homework till waaaaaaaay too late).
And with school work needing the computer/internet, I find it even more difficult to control their game-playing.... They say they are doing homework, but spot-check will reveal a game "Tab" open etc etc. Very very tough leh...

Anonymous said...

hi BP,
so glad to see you had a great weekend. i've been thinking of you often and wondering how you are settling in, in Spokane. hope the fall schedules are helping things get into some sort of normalcy.
how did the whole incident regarding the accident go? hope all is settled now and you have wheels again.
take care,
fay

Charmaine said...

What a great weekend you all had! I heard from my sis in Portland, OR that the weather is getting cooler. I am sure you're enjoying autumn colours now.

Stardust said...

Aww... all smiles there and look, your girl's a big 'smiler'. ;)And you look more like a fresh grad! ;)

I can't help marvelling at the pictures! Fantastic!

Please take care as the climate gets colder. It's getting a lil tensed here with concerns of Swine flu comeback.

BTW, can you browse SAHM's place as usual? Heh, don't know why, I'm having problem accessing her site. =P

bp said...

Thanks everyone for stopping by to gaze along with me!

Nomadic Mom, sama sama here, I know just what you mean. You keep doing what you have to do now!

Fay, dropped you a quick note earlier, and I'll try and catch your updates on FB.

Stardust, same here with swine flu. I also can't access SAHM's via IE, but Mozilla Firefox works.

stay-at-home mum said...

Hi bp
Stardust has been by. Not sure if she is still experiencing problems. Try using google chrome. I like it coz its so much faster. I have stopped using IE.

Jo said...

gorgeous GORGEOUS photographs!! Love them, love all of them, BP :)

Incidentally, IE has been really crappy with my new notebook, and incidentally, I've only just downloaded Firefox yesterday and for the entire day today, my browser did not suddenly stop and reboot, which was what happened with IE. I am Firefox convert! :)

bp said...

SAHM - thanks for coming back on this. dunno if my access problem has also to do with my pixes taking up all the diskspace? more housekeeping to get round to! =(

Jo - thanks, thanks for thinking so. i had to download Firefox when a photobk i was building simply "disappeared" on IE (no images, after all the work... gd thing all wasn't lost). like u, i'm using it now.

and if it fails, there's google chrome to try next!