Thursday, August 20, 2009

Gearing up

Look who's doing all the "power steering" at the store...
Photo0485 Photo0483
... shopping for back-to-school supplies. There's more to get organized, and more changes to adjust to -- new school, new friends and teachers, and new schedules; the boys start school in a week.

Photo0486Photo0490
The pint-sized gal isn't really big enough to sit in the double-seater (she's actually standing in the cart, under close supervision), but raring to go!

Meanwhile, when morning comes, Vern will go back to St Louis for the home stretch of his schoolwork there. We'll greatly appreciate your prayers for him to successfully defend his dissertation on Monday. And while he is away, for the children and me to manage well, by God's grace, the next seven days on our own.

On one hand, I always tell myself to take it easy; on the other, whenever on half strength and clearly outnumbered, how can I not be in survival mode? There's the stuff I can plan ahead -- like stocking up on enough grocery to feed an army, and no venturing far from home except for the usual swim lessons now at another pool so I can avoid the peak hour traffic. But there's also all the rest -- to trust the good Lord to take care of, and watch over us, as always. He's at the helm!

My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness. - 2 Corinthians 12:9

His grace keeps me going. The children and chores wear me out (of course, I'm human), and I ask for strength and patience to get through each day, to keep on going.

Thanks for stopping to care, I'll catch you later!

9 comments:

Jo said...

Heehee!! Kait looks so cute with her front front teeth.

stay-at-home mum said...

yes, its tough when you are on your own, BUT I know you will be fine. Just cut out on the optionals, and take things as easy as you can. ... or just give in to them sometimes..

Morning's Light said...

So cute. Kait got dimple at her mouth there, and "桃花眼”,i.e. the eye bags, that supposedly mean that she will be quite pretty (and have 异性缘 when she grows up.

NomadicMom said...

My boys are also starting school soon next Monday, 24th August. I know how it feels...rushing around to get school stuff sorted out. School uniforms, shoes, bags, stationery etc etc...

Priscilla said...

Hi BP, just do the minimal. Sometimes when we are juggling young family, do everything “八十吧仙就好“, so that in times of demand, you have that extra 20% to use. I am not sure if this helps, once every few weeks I will make a big batch of food like spaghetti bolognaise sauce in double the portion, a slow cooker stew in double, some pasta bake and similar. Then I would freeze the meals and use it for days when I find myself stretch for time. I know this is probably not a common concept amongst Asian cooking, but it helps tremendously when you are juggling 3 kids and running the household. Give it a try and see what you feel about it.

bp said...

Thanks, ladies.

Priscilla, thanks... food wise, i've been doing what u do for almost every nite's dinner with two children before, n even more so now -- like u, i double, triple, the food i cook, as u say, max out our huge slowcooker, n i use two big trays to fit in as much meat in the oven -- to roll over to next day's lunch. but our guys can be rather big eaters, so the extras don't last beyond the second meal, n the freezing trick works better for the little girl's food. after her arrival, i stock up on instant snacks and other instant food like frozen pizza n steamable veggies for totally crazy days, when i don't even feel like dragging all the kids to eat out becoz it's further to drive now. i know what u mean, keep to the basics n i am taking whatever shortcuts i know with the cooking n with the cleaning of the house. think it's just that over the last 12 months since kait's birth, it's been one thing after another, and what with the recent big move n the interrupted sleep still, my body does not have a real chance to recover or rest, n i am feeling the effects of that now.

Priscilla said...

Oh BP, after writing you the comment earlier on, I thought how nice it would be if we are just living in the same city, within walking distance to one another, so that I could also lend you a hand. I worry about you at times, the amount of load you carry each day, all the changes constantly, but you are continuously soldiering on, with no grudge but just thankfulness. What an inspirational woman you are!

bp said...

Priscilla, thank you so much for caring and for your friendship, i really appreciate it! you're overly kind, u know i have my limits, n just trying to do my job as mom and housewife. know that i'm encouraged by your constant sharing on your blog and your comments here, and how very well-taught your children are because of the excellent job you're doing with them. There's always a lesson in there for me to try and keep going for the many things that are works in progress still.

Stardust said...

Hey, hope that yours be back very soon now, and yes, may his efforts be paid off. Think you're doing great, and of course, with His great grace. Thinking about you, hugs.