The road stretches on and on...Are we there yet? The children want to know, for the umpteenth time.
Because it's a very long drive from Missiouri to Washington -- we spread over four, almost five days to do -- a good part of it does feel like miles and miles on end of "nothingness".
For me, the respite comes, once in a while, when we catch a lovely sight.
These are my favourite ones...
The sky, it wraps around us, 360 degrees...

There's the acres of farmland...

and the mountains in different shapes and sizes...

and everything else in-between...

... as far as the eye can see!
And just look at all that natural beauty...

.... it's hard not to go AAAAAAHHHHHH at the wonderful works in My Father's World!
I needed also to go AAAAAAHHHHHH in between all the AAARRRGGGHHHS -- the spills and messes, and meltdowns and fights -- of course we weren't spared of them on the road. And you can guess, which of these chaos in our daily lives I can use more of the breathing in and out still... why, the parenting journey can be quite the bumpy ride!
And now, it's about a month since our big move, and I'm just getting round to talk about it. We aren't quite over the sheer exhaustion of it all. The long drive, and before that, the crazy packing and cleaning, and once here, the unpacking and yet more cleaning. Don't be surprised, but we've still got more to unpack, only there's enough as it is to try and put in order, what with house things to repair or replace, as well as safety and maintenance issues, to tackle the pressing ones first.
Every day, too, we are grappling with such basic parenting issues as attitude and behavior, that pile on the stress for us during this transition period. Other things cropped up, like my toothache. And of the things we left behind, there are loose ends to tie up, including the sale of our place that we proceeded with, not to be taken for granted. The offer came during the move, and I feel it's my fault we agreed to much less than what we paid. Me, the non-risk taker, less open to the renting out alternative, not because I was led to think that the wrong tenants would make meth in the house, but more over its maintanence and which way the market will go a year from now. But did I give up too soon, instead of hang in there for a more reasonable offer? The losses don't yet include the newer home improvements. Bigger picture: the new family will get to enjoy them, while we focus on our blessings and setting up home again.
I struggled to make this update sound more positive, but you know I'm open about what I say here on my blog because I'm among friends, and it's only right if I say this as it is. And really, if I have to wait till I have things down pat, not that I did before, to blog again, I never will. But blogging helps me stop and gaze, and I am trying to focus on the big picture, and if it's also possible not to lose sight of the little things that do count as well. I know that eventually when Vern is done with his schoolwork (go, Vern, go... I must encourage him to keep going), he and I will breathe better, too, and it will feel more like we have moved on to a new chapter, a new season.
Meanwhile, we are thankful, no doubt, for Spokane to call our new home, for new faces we meet, and for old friends like you, to start our journey here... It's only just begun.

12 comments:
Moving house is one of the major stresses in life, and that probably brought about the toothache. Hope everything is more settled now for you. breathe in, breathe out. You are doing just fine.
Dont worry about blogging in a nice way, sometimes,we just have to get it out of the system, and writing as is may help. We are all ears for you!!
{{BIG HUG}} you're are doing magnificently, considering all the stresses at this point in time. Things can only get better!! and those pics are really awesome! The vastness of the open space.I long for those.
big hugs for you, too, SAHM... for being all ears always. no, not magnificent at all, and children can be so out of hand, i feel so inept.thanks for listening!
wow, that 360 wrap round sky is GORGEOUS! Oh to be back again and travelling...
Hang in there. Shifting house, and for 5 people at that, can be quite tough. Once you settle down, I'm sure you'll all be enjoying your new digs. :)
~SWOON~ Didn't ya know I wanted to come too? ~smile~ Just thinking of you and stopped by to see what's up, and WOW you've been BUSY! Moving is HARD, but I'd like to be doing that myself... I understand the training issues!!!! I TRY to remember the many older Moms who have given me the advice to ENJOY this time, as they are gone all too soon~and the we will miss even their stupid fights! LOL! ~Not sayin' it works to change my attitude 100% of the time.~ Anyway, all my love to you~and prayers going up on your behalf right his minute, too! (((((HUGS)))) sandi
Dearie BP,
We're here, always behind you and always all ears!! You've accomplished much babe, don't doubt a shred about it, cos all's well when Abba Father let them happen. I'd gladly let go of that old home too if I were you, and embrace the new place, new blessings with a new heart. God is going to make everything brand new and much good stuff has just begun.
Thinking of you always and know that our Father cares even more!
Very touched by the series of pictures you've shared, vastly BEAUTIFUL! And I'm more than convinced that great blessings are revealing along the way. Big big hugs...
The pics r awesome! Maybe when u're a little too stressed at home, looking at these open spaces may help.
Do continue to blog whenever u can find time. It's rather therapeutic, don't u agree? Take care, dear!
Bp, you take such gorgeous gorgeous pictures! They are truly magnificient.
Ah.. what's done is done with the house. Like you said, look at the bigger picture, and you could also add that you can now focus on the here and now and rebuilding a home in washington.
God bless you and yours BP.
Thanks, everyone, you're all so sweet.
Thanks for hearing me on the house -- like SAHM said, I needed to get it out of my system. And Stardust, it's true that with its sale, it is one big thing less to worry! Jomel, I've put in the rebuilding home part to remind myself of the here and now... I like how you said it.
Derek, it's great to hear from you. Sandi, too, thanks always for your hugs... "training" -- love the sound of that, tho' there are so many basic things we're trying to teach and re-teach from start, I tear my hair out, and it's really bad, I scream my head off =(. Slavemom, I can use more of the *breathing in, breathing out*...
God bless y'all!
The photos look soooo professional. Envy of your photo-taking skills!!!
Speaking of parenting... I am now with a adolescent with weird hormones....which at times can really tear my hair out. But what to do? Even if he hates me, I will have to do what is right and steer him towards the right direction....
Nomadic Mom, thanks, u r so kind. on parenting, it gets harder, doesn't it? my tween isn't a teen yet but i'm getting more n more of a taste of it already. remember those days of sweet innoncence?
u keep going, yah, i'm behind u on this same parenting journey!
Hi BP,
Awesome pics...Just following your travel blog reminds us how small we are in relation to His creations. Sometimes in small "man-made" cities of our own creation, we miss the wood for the trees.
Hope to meet up with you guys in the Northwest when you are properly settled in by Dec.
DL and EY
DL n EY,
Thanks, n can't agree with u more how we tend to overlook the natural beauty. Come visit, it'll be great... let us know how your plan goes! n oh, also when your musings start!
Post a Comment