Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Goo goo ga ga

Oct 08 i 025 sOct 08 i 026 (2) c s
Kaitlyn's cooing is my favourite part of her development these last few weeks.

Catch her in a talking mood, and she'll lock eyes with you, and go, "Eh... air... uhhh!"!

I wonder if she'll grow up to be more yakkity than her brothers. But one thing's for sure, this is the kind of talking back we parents don't mind, eh? ;p

New at the 2-month mark:
Kaitlyn started batting at toys hung where she can see them, and especially if these play some happy tune.

Singing to her is also one way to get her to "sing" back!

Grooving along...
Oct 08 Cii 037 s ...yeah, baby!

What say you?
Meanwhile, still struggling with her night-day mixup. I'll appreciate it if you can drop me a line with your ideas on how to keep a sleepy baby awake and engaged in the evening (the longest stretch Kaitlyn sleeps, but that's when I'm busy settling the boys down to homework after driving them back from school, and having to fix dinner also). A couple of hours is enough to keep her wide wide awake well past bedtime (midnight, 1, 2am...), fussing away into the wee hours (3, 4, 5am...), needing way-too-frequent feeds till it's time for me to get up already to make breakfast and get on with the daily grind.

My dark circles are baaaaaaaad, and the scarcer my sleep, the grumpier I am! =(

A well-rested Kaitlyn is a happy baby...
Oct 08 Cii 007 sSep 08 Civ 067 s
but how do you sleep-train a 2-month old whose sleep pattern is clearly reversed? Not enough rest in the day, and she ends up being restless after dark. It's a vicious cycle hard to break.

No, I'm not expecting her to sleep through the night, neither boy did, just will like Kaitlyn to fall asleep at a sane hour. Need that for my sanity!

11 comments:

Stardust said...

Oh BP... I wish I know how to cast a spell. =P Kaitlyn is so cute!Hard to imagine that cute ones can be that difficult at night.

I'm clueless about this matter, but I'm praying about it. Are you allowing her lots of afternoon nap? Will shortening those help her sleep earlier at night? Yikes, I really should not give some foul suggestion when I know nuts!!

But know that we're behind you. =) Wish to see your smile again... =) Hugs.

tasy said...

Hello!
She's really getting cuter and prettier, what a lovely baby.

My opinion: Try as hard as you can to adjust her sleeping pattern, let her sleep in the afternoon the longest, like as it's night time, and during evening, let her play as most as you can.

My experience with my own 3 when they were babies, their afternoons are like night times. Play hard during morning and evening. Sleep like a pig in the afternoons and nights. Of course, still need to feed in between, but at least they shud be back to sleep after feeding. Good luck to you!

stay-at-home mum said...

I know the problem - she is on Singapore time. So if you move back here, she will be in the correct time zone and you dont have to worry about her not wanting to sleep at nite at all.
And ... erm, if you have no plans to move back then try playing less with her after 5pm and be really quiet at nights. Dont give her too much attention so that she will find it boring and go back to sleep.

She is really such a cutie, and so alert and responsive - what a joy!

And, if you can delegate any of your "work" do so and catch as much sleep as and when you can.

Anonymous said...

Hi BP,
I know this may not work on all babies, but with both K & C, I stuck pretty faithfully to a 3 hour schedule, with wake, eat, play, then sleep, then repeat in 3 hour intervals. Since both of them were exclusively breastfeed, there were times, I needed to adjust the 3 hour rule due to their needs, but not terribly often. I still had to feed them at night, but I would not do a diaper change not turn the light on, unless they had a poopy diaper. Most of the time, I was able to put them right back to sleep after a dreamy feed. At 2 or 3 months, I started "tanking them up" in the evening, i.e. starting at 7pm or so, I'd feed them every 3 hours, with a last feed about 11 - 12 or so, then they would be able to sleep a little longer and wake at about 5am or so. I would not let them sleep uninterrupted between 7pm - 12am, and made sure their tummies were filled up before I went to bed at 12am. This is a method I adopted from a book called "Babywise", by Ezzo & Bucknam. If you have time to search your library catelog, put it on hold & pick it up when you are able, it is a worth read, I think. Very big print, and gives pretty specific suggestions.
Again, not a method that works for all, I know, since there isn't really a one solution fits all, but just a suggestion.
Know I'm praying for you. I had a taste of what you are going through when we were battling jet lag after coming back to Portland, and it made me think of you.
-fay

Anonymous said...

oooppppss ... sorry, i meant to say i fed my boys every 2 hours between 7pm and 12am, not 3 hours. hope this makes sense, if not, please let me know.
-fay

bp said...

Stardust,
Thanks, thanks always for your support and prayers. *Hugs*

Gargies,
Hello, and thanks for your kind words and for sharing your own experience... trying now to enforce the play more/sleep less in the evening part as you pointed out.

SAHM,
Thanks, and you know, Vern said the exact same thing the other nite... that K is on S'pore time! And you're right, late in the nite, the already well-rested K is the one who wants to play, even tho' I'll refuse to "entertain" her, hence her fussing coz she does not want to sleep tho I want her to. Need to work on keeping her awake before bedtime.

Fay,
Thanks for sharing what works for K and C, I also nursed J and B and had a tendency to feed more frequently (in the name of "demand") for Ben esp as that was when we came over, but I remember that they generally would go back to sleep after the nite feeds. With Kaitlyn, I think the main problem is she's already slept "enough" by the time bedtime comes. But it's hard not to let her fall asleep in the evening (ahead of bedtime) when she wants v much to go to sleep... what you said about NOT letting baby sleep UNINTERRUPTED between 7 and 12, jumped out at me, and I'm going to try it out! Also just started on the "tanking up" method with her, and prayerfully, with time, she will switch to a normal sleep pattern.

I hope with the jet lag over, your boys are sleeping better, back to normal now. You take care, too!

slavemom said...

Kaitlyn's such a cutie n she's edi showing the girlie traits - pretty smiles n being talkative. :)
Sorry can't help u with sleep training as I've not had that experience with mine (thankfully), but I c that u've got vy good advices. Hope u're able to chg her sleeping time n then able to rest more urself. Take care!

bp said...

Thanks, Slavemom! It's Fri liao... happy weekend!

Jo said...

oh oh oh.. i wanna carry her!!! She is looking cuter and cuter by the day. Please post more pics of baby Kaitlyn. And regarding the sleep issue, gosh it's been quite a while I don't even know how to advice you but i see your friends here are giving you pretty good ones already. Anyway this too shall pass, you know that. *hugs*:)

Anonymous said...

Oh my, Kaitlyn is so so so adorable! Can't wait to carry her. Honestly, I also have no idea how to revise that sleeping pattern. But count your blessing, Cheryl was worse when she was a baby. She took super short naps - like 20mins every 2 hrs or so. That surely drived us crazy. Must 'ren', ok? Take care. Worry not, we cannot see your dark eye rings. :)

bp said...

Jomel,
Thanks. My boys also had their nites/days mixed up and Ben napped poorly... but like you said it's been sometime, altho now, it's all coming back to me =( But I also know what you mean, this shall pass... and I just have to hang in there. I'll love to post more baby pictures!

Viv,
Thanks. Yes, must ren... Kait is also driving me crazy with the super short naps -- put her down and she wakes up, and then the whole thing repeats itself... very, very tiring. Trust me, my dark circles/eye bags are baaaad... so bad, I did not post the picture that shows it!