Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Casino under water

Jun 08 xv 031

The Midwest floods saw structures and buildings such as this casino, literally go under! It's located in the city, right next to the Mississippi river which crested on Sunday.

See that stop-sign? It's almost submerged!
Jun 08 xv 036Jun 08 xv 037

Look how high the water levels are!
Jun 08 xv 039Jun 08 xv 044

And just early last week, news of the waters reaching up to the steps of The Arch, St Louis' iconic landmark, made headlines.

You don't get a very good picture of the river spilling over its banks, from these shots of The Arch snapped from the highway as we drove off. But it was the closest we got to it, when dark clouds loomed and a storm followed.
Jun 08 xv 049Jun 08 xv 054

16 comments:

Stardust said...

At first, I really thought it's some under-water-casino that I've not known of. The picture got me dumbfounded! What a sight to witness in life!

Water, water. Did you know? Water symbolizes wealth according to Chinese superstition. The casino is really in a good dip then? I pray no more damages.

bp said...

Stardust,
I pray the same, too.

I completely forgot about the "shui" = $$$... but o dear, this one's a sinking investment =(

Anonymous said...

Isn't it dangerous that you guys are so close?

Jo said...

oh my! that's really some flood! You take care bp. *hugs*

NomadicMom said...

Hey! For a moment, I thought it was a movie studio set!
WOW! THat is a major food isn't it?

Unknown said...

Oh, gosh! The storm is really crazy. Hey, they can transformed the Casino into a underwater casino.

slavemom said...

Is it operational? Who'd go there after such an incident?
Btw, here's a just-for-fun tag for u. ;)

Anonymous said...

Wow, that looks really bad.I remembered the foot of the Arc was some distance away from the river.

bp said...

Ching Han, Jomel, Nomadic Mom, Jessie, Slavemom, Blur Mommy,

The situation is better now. The waters are receding... and just in time for the nation's 4th of Jul celebrations. But for homes and buildings like this casino badly affected, they can't flip back overnight just like this.

stay-at-home mum said...

Hi bp
That must have been some flood!!

Just wanted to say I love your new profile pic with the boys!! But that would have to be updated real soon when the lil' one comes along... in how many weeks??

bp said...

SAHM,
Thanks for coming by to say hi, and for caring! I'm into 35 weeks now...

You be in touch still, OK?

You have a great weekend in the meanwhile! *hugs*

sting said...

gosh! that's really deep ya.. were they prepared for it? or was this a first time?

JK said...

Hi BP, my attention was captured by the title of your post and thought it was something new. Gosh, it looked bad.

You are in week 35 now? The baby will come soon, eh? You take care, BP.

bp said...

Sting,
There has been previous flooding, and if I'm not mistaken, the water level had been as high.

Jo-N,
Thanks. How have you been? Hope all's well with you =).

Yan said...

bp,

We all seem to be "slowing" down in blogging!

I am always amazed by you being that little angel in many people's lives! I just love reading your comments, here and there, and of course, in my blog too! I am more than amazed, just touched!

Standing tip-toe to your new bundle of joy! The joy is no less than waiting to see JoMel's wedding reception pictures and stories!

Take care, little angel :)

Have a trip to your homeland, the SingingLand (I always like to call it) this weekend. Will eat for you all the good food there, how about that? he..he..

bp said...

Dear Yan,
Thanks so much for coming by, for your well-wishes, and always with your words of encouragement and wisdom!

Been only "stealing" minutes here and there to email/ drop a line. Sorry, haven't kept up with your blog, and I hope all's well with you.

Meanwhile, you have a fruitful Singapore trip and pray for your journey's mercies... oh, and yeah, eat "until you burst"... I especially miss the pepper crabs! ;p