Monday, June 18, 2007

How old are you?

Ask Ben what's his age, and he can tell you he's three. Chances are, he will hold up two fingers still. Somehow, making the 'OK' sign or trying to get his thumb and pinkie to touch, isn't quite his instinctive reaction yet. But that's OK.

Now ask him how old his Gor Gor is. And he'll say Jon is three, too!

Young children, they don't have a very good concept of time. Especially age. Not too long ago, 6-going-on-7 Jon asked if I was in my 4o's, 50's or 60's!

Then the other day, out of the blue, Jon kept harping on me being old. Older than all the other mommies in his class, and older than all the other Singaporean females here. Somehow he had this strange notion, and criterion, like equating youth with complexion that's fair and spotless.


Now where did that come from? I didn't buy it, of course (think pimples for teenagers especially, um, not that we don't have them anymore).

But the other night, at our friend's party, I was indeed the oldest there, since the husband who's a wee bit older was absent and back in Singapore by then.

And except for one other female who'd just turned 30 not so long ago, all the other females were only in their 20's. If you must know, I was also a good 10 years older than the birthday girl, and she wasn't the youngest there, not counting Jon and Ben.


How not for me to feel older, especially with Jon going on and on about it? But if I didn't announce it, maybe no one would notice?!

You know what they say that age is a matter of the mind? And if you don't mind (the age difference), it doesn't really matter.

How old am I?
I'm 35, going on... (I wish ) 26!

Celebrating Adeline's birthday, at Deborah's

Adeline was genuinely surprised, and both Jon and Ben were thrilled we were all in on the act, too! It was nice that we got to go. In the end I drove to Melvin's first so he could help to circle the block in case there was no parking available.

Besides the eating and catching up, our friends were wonderful and accommodating as always, and took turns to play with the boys!



















(Pictures courtesy of Melvin)

8 comments:

叶子 sirennights said...

Yeah, tell me about it. For some strange reason, En (the elder one) only knows even numbers i.e two, four, six, eight. Er..

Jo said...

hehehe.. so cute. I went through that as well... saying three but two fingers! They grow so fast. Sigh!

Mandy said...

Actually, I don't think you look 35!!! And you certainly don't look like a mom of two. How could one with two children be so slim? ;P

A Mature Student said...

I am trying to work out which one is you in the photo (the one with Ben on your lap?). If so, my goodness, you look so much younger than your age.

As they say, as long as you are young at heart, age is not concern.

To me, you are a young ciku. I am going to be 49 wor.... :(

stay-at-home mum said...

My daughter, Little D, thinks i am only one year old, coz every year i only have one candle on my cake.... you are young at 35. I should be having more candles on my cake (and that is coming up so soon) coz kids are fighting over who gets to blow it, and its tough with only one candle!!

bp said...

Sirennights,
En is so smart... 2x timetable already!

Jomel,
Yes, I also wish they'll slow down a bit. I tried to ask Ben to also hold up one finger (his other hand), so it's 2 + 1!

Mandy,
You're kind. And you know that while I'm not pencil slim -- and there are those who think I can be thinner (why they think so, I don't know, but too thin and it's difficult to buy clothes especially here), I've not really been obsessed with my weight, just always trying to keep up with the two boys! I wish I have more energy though!

Judy,
Yes, that's moi! You're right... young at heart's all that matters, no matter what others, and especially our own kids think. Today, Jon tells me I'm fat! Makes me wonder if he's 6-going-on-14!!!

SAHM,
Little D is so cute! For your birthday (when? let us know!)...hmm... oblige your kids and have more candles?

Priscilla said...

Your kids are beautiful, looking so happy. And you don't look 35 at all, you look very young! My JD used to be the same, he was always showing 2 fingers when he was really 3. And he used to count 2,4,6,8 just the even numbers only. He is better now, but I just find kids so funny sometimes.

bp said...

Harimau,
Thanks. Yes, kids do say the darndest things! I used to compile the cute and funny (to me, at least) things that my boys said, in my old blog under a "Kids Say" heading. Now in this blog, I'm just recording such moments randomly and labelling them as "small talk"! They make me laugh!

Wow, JD's also into the 2x table, like Sirennights' En!

As for my picture, must be our friend's good photography! You'll have to see my in person!